30 April 2010

Adventures with Cake Balls

Have you ever heard of these?  I recently discovered these tasty little treats!  My cousin made some for Easter and I had to check them out.  All I needed was a reason to make them...


Then my neighbor invited us to a party at their house, appetizers & finger foods were on the menu.  I thought cake balls would be the perfect addition.  Off to go search, find a recipe, and other trials & tests. 

And I then I found Bakerella
     Here's her site.
Yes, that's cake my friends.   Red velvet drenched in chocolate.  Who doesn't like chocolate?!?!

I couldn't make these for the first time for a party with a bunch of people I don't know.  So who better to test them out on than my co-workers. 

These are SO incredibly simple.  Just bake a cake, crumble it up, mix in frosting, roll into balls, dip it, decorate, and eat!

All you need is this:
Cake Mix (baked)
Can of Frosting
Candy Melts

I decided to try out 2 flavors Strawberry & Chocolate

This is my unhappy little helper because she wanted cake "Right Now".


Cake is finished & cooled down


Let's get ready to crumble!

Not so pretty, I know.  Just crumble it up by hand as finely as you can.


Mix in about 2/3 - 3/4 can of frosting.  Any flavor will do, I went on the wild side and used Chocolate for the Chocolate and Strawberry frosting in the Strawberry cake.  

I decided to spread it out in a pan and let it chill out a bit in the fridge before rolling into balls.

Roll into balls.  I used a small ice scream scoop to help me keep them all the same size




Put them in the fridge to chill out some more. 
It's OK to put them in the freezer to speed up the chilling process but don't leave them in there too long.  If they're frozen, the candy melt will crack when you dip it.

Speaking of candy melts.  Get to melting!  Just follow the directions. 

Let's Dip!  Lots of trial & error here.  I ended up putting the cake ball in the melt and then balancing it on a fork to drain off the excess.  Put the dipped cake balls on a parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheet to harden. 
By the way, this part is best left for after the little ones are in bed.  That is, unless you're willing to have candy goo everywhere.
I decided they didn't look pretty enough so I put left over candy melt in a Ziploc and drizzle over the opposite color cake ball.


And here's the final product!

I ended up with about 90 balls total. My co-workers loved them and they didn't last long.

Guess they're good enough for my neighbors and a their friends, but we'll leave that for another day

No comments:

Post a Comment